Backblaze loves the Mac, and even tried to bring back Steve Jobs, so we’re very excited today to make our unlimited online backup service available to all Mac users.
With half the founding team originally from Apple, we couldn’t wait to support the Mac platform. We’re thrilled to do so and to see some of the reactions so far:
TUAW: Backblaze for Mac officially launches
MacWorld: BackBlaze online backup debuts for Mac
TechCrunch: Backblaze’s Online Backup Solution For Macs
TidBits: Backblaze Publicly Launches Online Backup Service for Macs
VentureBeat: Simple backup service Backblaze now available to all Mac users
TheAppleBlog: Backblaze for Mac Now Live
Download.com: Easy backups for Mac: BackBlaze
5ThirtyOne: Backblaze: Secure unlimited automatic backups for $5
MacsimumNews: Backblaze announces Mac Online Backup
At its core, Backblaze for the Mac delivers on the same vision—making backup simple:
- Installing is simple—just download, enter an email and password; you’re done.
- Running it is simple—nothing to do; backs up continuously and automatically.
- Pricing is simple—$5/month or $50/year per computer for unlimited storage.
- Restoring is simple—select any files; download or we’ll FedEx a DVD or hard drive.
Here is a screenshot of the Mac Preference Pane:
- Improving notifications
- Starting to backup resource forks
- Adding an uninstaller to the install package
- Excluding numerous extra application-specific temp file directories
- …and many other items that we built/fixed/changed.
We also learned Mac users love their external drives, with some users having as many as six USB or Firewire drives connected to one system.
While we always supported backing up external drives, we developed a new interface that shows which drives are connected/disconnected, selected for backup or not, or Boot Camp/Time Machine. Now, not only does Backblaze automatically backup external drives… but provides an at-a-glance view of the status.
We hope you enjoy the service.