Backblaze turns nine today! That’s right, back on April 20th, 2007, Backblaze was officially incorporated in Delaware. We wrote about our fifth birthday back in 2012, but we wanted to take a moment and look back at the last four years. We’ve been pretty busy.
Over the last four years:
- The Backblaze team has grown by over 240%, and we’re still hiring.
- Our hard drive stats continue to be incredibly popular.
- We’ve increased the number of customer files we’ve restored by 10 times, from 1.2 billion to over 12 billion.
- We’ve increased the amount of customer data we store by 10 times from 20 petabytes to over 200 petabytes.
- Backblaze mobile apps made their debut for iOS and Android.
- We’ve graced the Deloitte Fast 500 list with our presence—twice.
- Backblaze Vaults launched and continue to revolutionize storage.
- Embracing our open-source roots, we’ve released even more secret sauce with Reed-Solomon erasure coding.
- We continued to deliver storage innovation to the open-source community by delivering Storage Pod versions 3.0, 4.0, 4.5, and 5.0.
- We launched Backblaze B2 Cloud Storage, the lowest cost cloud storage on the planet to complement our Backblaze Personal Backup and Backblaze Business Backup products. Catblaze launched shortly thereafter on April 1st, 2016.
We’ve got a lot of cool projects coming down the pipe, and we couldn’t be more excited to share them with you, but they’ll have to wait. On this April 20th, our birthday, even though your friends probably aren’t idiots, listen to our friend SecuriTay and remind them to back up their machines:
Tell your stoner friends "420 backblaze it" because you know those idiots aren't remembering to back up manually
— SoS (@SwiftOnSecurity) December 28, 2015