Ever since Backblaze launched, providing incredibly easy, unlimited online backup for individual users, companies have said, “Hey, but we have laptops and desktops that need to be backed up too!”
To help these companies, this week we launched Backblaze Business Backup, making available the same $50 per year per computer unlimited backup.
What Is Backblaze for Business?
It’s an online backup service that automatically and continuously backs up all data from laptops and desktops over the internet. The data is de-duplicated, compressed, encrypted, and broken up into small pieces before being uploaded so that it can be sent incrementally. If the computer dies, individual employees can restore their data by downloading it or having Backblaze FedEx the data on DVDs or a USB hard drive.
How Much Does it Cost?
Just $50 per computer per year for unlimited storage.
Wait, This Sounds Just Like the Consumer Service.
Yes, why change a good thing?! What Backblaze Business Backup adds is:
- Central Billing—a company can pay for all of its accounts centrally and can choose to pay via credit card or be invoiced for the service.
- Central Reporting—the person in charge of the backup service can get automated reports about which computers are licensed, when their last backup was, how far into the backup they are, etc.
Who Should Use Backblaze Business Backup?
The service is available for companies with at least five employees. Have less than five? Just have each user sign-up for the regular Backblaze service. Have 10, 100, 1000, or more? Get started on the Backblaze Business Backup page.
How Does This Compare to My Other Options?
There are various ways to backup employee laptops and desktops. You could:
- Buy each user an external hard drive, which will cost you about two years of Backblaze service, but you still need a way for them to backup to the drive; there is no central management; and the chances that the hard drive is in the same place as the laptop? Well, you get the point.
- Use a central tape drive system and sign up to rotate and manage tapes continuously? Deal with the stat that over half of the time tapes fail when you need to restore data? Oh, and how do you deal with users being remote with their laptops?
- Tell users to save important files to a shared drive? Seriously, you know this does not actually happen, right?
- Don’t backup laptops and desktops, even though 60% of corporate data is on those employee computers and 70% of companies die after a significant data loss?
What About Other Online Backup Solutions?
There are certainly other options available. We heard three requests from companies:
- 1. Make it easy to deploy.
All other solutions required IT to figure out what to back up. Unfortunately, without going to every employee’s computer, that was impossible to figure out, so they would either just back up “My Documents” or pick common file types knowing that other data was going to get lost.
Thankfully, Backblaze automatically backs up all data.
- 2. Make the pricing predictable.
Companies need to budget, especially in the current economy. Having unpredictable expenses that grow with the amount of data backed up is challenging.
No need for stress: Backblaze charges one fixed price for unlimited storage.
- 2. Make the pricing affordable.
Companies really want to back up their data, but paying $0.50-$2.00 per gigabyte per month adds up very quickly to hundreds or thousands of dollars per computer per year. A laptop with just 100GB on it would cost $600-$2,400 per year to backup. Most companies just cannot afford this.
However, Backblaze charges just $50 per computer per year.
How Do I Get Started?
Just visit Backblaze Business Backup and stop worrying.