Backblaze has made a new release available and all users are scheduled to be automatically upgraded over the next two weeks. Below are the enhancements in this release:
Release Date: 12/4/09
Auto-Update: All Users
All Binaries Are Signed (Windows)
The Windows and Mac installers has always been signed and all Mac binaries have been signed since the Snow Leopard release. Now all binaries on Windows are signed as well per request by Symantec to reduce old versions of Norton anti-virus from misidentifying Backblaze as a virus.
Renewal Notification Enhancements
Added notifications to alert customers if their renewal did not succeed.
Added Temporary File Exclusions
Excluded DropBox, MobileMe, and Safari cache files since they are temporary and automatically rebuilt.
- Touched up German and French text to be more accurate and fit better.
- Updated “Vault” icon in Backblaze Preference Pane. (Mac)
- Clicking “Backblaze Preference…” from the icon in the top-bar shows the pane even if it was minimized to the dock. (Mac)
- Stopped printing unnecessary status messages to stdout log. (Mac)
- Added iPhone backups to be backed up (for iPhones that are synched with iTunes to the desktop or laptop.)
- Added Mozilla Firefox shortcuts to backup. (Mac)
- Avoid backing up bogus “.” and “..” files found in /Users/Shared/ folders.
Improved Install & Auto-Update Robustness (Mac)
- Unpack new installer into uniquely named folder to avoid conflicts.
- Pre-check for Backblaze system files running during auto-update.
- Pre-check for certain esoteric system items to enhance install success.