We’re looking for someone who enjoys solving difficult problems, running down elusive tech gremlins, and improving our environment one server at a time. If you revel in being stretched, learning new skills, and want to look forward to seeing your co-workers every day, then we want you!
Backblaze is a small (in headcount) cloud storage (and backup!) company with a big mission, bringing feature-rich and accessible services to the masses, even if they don’t have unlimited VC funding (because we don’t either)! We believe in a fun and positive work environment where people can learn and grow, and where a sense of community is not just a buzzword from a company handbook (though you might find it in there).
What You’ll Be Doing
- Mastering your craft, becoming a subject matter expert, and acting as an escalation point for areas of expertise (this means responding to pages in your areas of ownership as well)
- Leading projects across a range of IT operations disciplines
- Developing a thorough understanding of the environment and the skills necessary to troubleshoot all systems and services
- Collaborating closely with other teams (Engineering, Infrastructure, etc.) to build out new systems and improve existing ones
- Participating in on-call rotation when necessary
- Petting the office dogs when appropriate
What You Should Have
- 5+ years of work as a Systems Administrator
- Expert knowledge of Linux systems administration (Debian preferred)
- Ability to work under pressure in a fast-paced startup environment
- A passion for build and improving all manner of systems and services
- Excellent problem solving, investigative, and troubleshooting skills
- Strong interpersonal communication skills
- Local enough to commute to San Mateo office
Highly Desirable Skills
- Experience working at a technology/software startup
- Configuration management and automation software (Ansible preferred)
- Familiarity with server and storage system hardware and configurations
- Understanding of Java servlet containers (Tomcat preferred)
- Skill in administration of different software suites and cloud-based integrations (G Suite, PagerDuty, etc.)
- Comprehension of standard web services and packages (WordPress, Apache, etc.)
Some Backblaze Perks
- Generous healthcare plans
- Competitive compensation and 401k
- All employees receive Option grants
- Unlimited vacation days
- Strong coffee
- Fully stocked Micro kitchens
- Weekly catered breakfast and lunches
- Awesome people who work on awesome projects
- Childcare bonus (human children only)
- Get to bring your (well behaved) pets into the office
- Backblaze is an Equal Opportunity Employer and we offer competitive salary and benefits, including our no policy vacation policy
If this sounds like you — follow these steps:
- Send an email to email@example.com with the position in the subject line.
- Include your resume.
- Tell us a bit about your experience and why you’re excited to work with Backblaze.