Please check out our jobs page for additional great opportunities at Backblaze.
Backblaze continues to grow and we need a Senior Automation Engineer to help us do it!
Please note, even though “automation” is in the position title, this position does not involve self-driving cars. Sorry.
Senior Automation Engineer
- Lead effort to automate provisioning & updating of systems with Ansible, custom script, and other tools.
- Maintain and expand utility script library.
- Understand environment thoroughly enough to administer/debug any system in data center.
- Collaborate on capacity planning (manage storage buffers, forecast Pod needs per month, ensure adequate colo space, etc.).
- Collaborate on strategic planning (optimize performance, reduce cost, increase efficiency, mitigate risk).
- Collaborate on network security (including PCI compliance, firewalls, ACLs, HackerOne, Log Analysis, etc.).
- Collaborate on design/deploy/administer network infrastructure (switches, VPNs, routers, etc.).
- Help manage projects and work with teams to ensure routine tasks are covered.
- Help manage infrastructure services installation/configuration (DNS, DHCP, NTP, Certificate Authority, Clonezilla, PXE, etc.).
- Help manage web services installation/configuration (Tomcat, Apache, Ngnix, WordPress, Java, etc.).
- Help administer database servers (MySQL).
- Help debug/repair software problems (File system, RAID & boot drive repairs).
- Participate in the 24×7 on-call pager rotation and respond to alerts as needed.
- Expert knowledge of Linux system administration; Debian experience preferred.
- Experience running Apache, Tomcat, WordPress, and Java services.
- 8+ years of experience or equivalent.
- Bash scripting skills.
- Position based in the San Francisco Bay Area, California requiring 3+ days/week in San Mateo, CA.
Required for all Backblaze Employees:
- Good attitude and willingness to do whatever it takes to get the job done.
- Strong desire to work for a small, fast paced company.
- Desire to learn and adapt to rapidly changing technologies and work environment.
- Rigorous adherence to best practices.
- Relentless attention to detail.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and good oral/written communication.
- Excellent troubleshooting and problem-solving skills.
Check out these videos on our Data Center Operations team:
Want to apply? Follow these three steps:
- Send an Email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the position listed above in the subject line.
- Include your resume.
- Include your answers to two of the following three questions:
- What about working at Backblaze excites you the most?
- Provide three adjectives that best describe your personal workspace.
- How would you manage boot images and system configurations on 1,000+ servers (i.e. Backblaze Storage Pods)?
We’ll be interviewing candidates over the next couple of weeks. Join us and help us continue to build a great online backup company.
Backblaze is an Equal Opportunity Employer and we offer competitive salary and benefits, including our no policy vacation policy.