Please check out our jobs page for additional great opportunities at Backblaze.
Want to work at a company that helps customers in over 150 countries around the world protect the memories they hold dear? A company that stores over 250 petabytes of customers’ photos, music, documents and work files in a purpose-built cloud storage system? A company that’s restored over 15 Billion files for our customers? Well here’s your chance! Backblaze is looking for a Java Engineer!
We’re looking for a Senior Software Developer – Java! The ideal person has an epic passion for technology, an obsession for quality, and 10+ years of experience.
Founded in 2007, Backblaze started with a mission to make backup software elegant and provide complete peace of mind. Over the course of almost a decade, we have become a pioneer in robust, scalable low cost cloud backup. Recently, we launched B2 – robust and reliable object storage at just $0.005/gb/mo. Part of our differentiation is being able to offer the lowest price of any of the big players while still being profitable.
We’ve managed to nurture a team oriented culture with amazingly low turnover. We value our people and their families. Don’t forget to check out our “About Us” page to learn more about the people and some of our perks.
We have built a profitable, high growth business. While we love our investors, we have maintained control over the business. That means our corporate goals are simple – grow sustainably and profitably.
Some Backblaze Perks:
- Competitive healthcare plans
- Competitive compensation and 401k
- All employees receive Option grants
- Unlimited vacation days
- Strong coffee available at the office
- Fully stocked micro kitchen
- Catered breakfasts and lunches
- Awesome people who work on awesome projects
- Childcare bonus
- Normal work hours
- Open-pet policy
- San Mateo Office – located near Caltrain and Highways 101 & 280
Technology @ Backblaze:
Backblaze is one of the largest cloud storage providers on the planet. That means our ecosystem creates interesting challenges (and the occasional problem) at a very large scale. 1,600 pods composed by 68,731 hard drives, holding over 250 Petabytes.
The most relevant pieces of our stack for the Sr. Software Developer – Java role:
- Cassandra (database management… we’re scaling to hundreds of nodes)
- IntelliJ (debug/write Java)
- PyCharm (write Python)
Other key pieces of our stack include:
- Ansible (control automation)
- Zabbix (monitoring / pretty graphs)
- Prometheus (monitoring)
- Grafana (visualization)
- Xcode (iOS and Mac Desktop)
- Microsoft Visual Studio (Desktop Windows)
We run functional teams with a reasonably high level of autonomy. Planning and prioritization is organized monthly and quarterly using hybrid agile methodologies. We are rigorous in our recruiting and value our teammates. As such, proactive management against burnout is paramount during short and long term planning.
You are passionate about writing solid, maintainable code and building friendly, easy to use interfaces and APIs. You are interested in NoSQL databases (because we’re building enormously scalable systems on top of them). The best candidate likes to work closely with other engineers, support, and sales to help our customers succeed in the US and around the globe.
This position requires you to work from our main office, located right in the middle of downtown San Mateo. We have a flexible culture around working remotely on select days.
- Apache Tomcat
- UTF-8, Java Properties, and Localized HTML (Backblaze runs in 11 languages)
- Large scale systems supporting thousands of servers and millions of customers
- Cross platform (Linux,Macintosh,Windows) – we don’t need you to be an expert on all three, but you cannot be afraid of any
If this all sounds like you:
- Send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the position title in the subject line
- Tell us a bit about your programming experience
- Include your resume
Backblaze is an Equal Opportunity Employer.