Way back in 2012 we decided it was time to sunset our DVD restore option (Yes, that was a thing.) and replace it with USB flash drive restores to accompany our USB hard drives. Today, the time has come to bid farewell to those little flash keys as well.
Demand for USB flash drives has waned considerably since the halcyon days of 2012, while internet bandwidth has made smaller restores far easier. At the same time, demand for our USB hard drive restores has steadily increased. So while we bid a fond adieu to everyone’s favorite spy movie staple, we remain ready and able to fulfill your physical restore needs with larger-capacity USB hard drives should you need to recover a lot of data all at once.
Yes, as of March 3, we will no longer offer USB flash drive restores, but rest assured that the Backblaze Computer Backup service continues to offer many options to restore your files, including:
- Download via the web application.
- Save files to Backblaze B2 Cloud Storage.
- Order a USB hard drive to keep or redeem through our Restore Return Refund program.
- And you’ll still be able to recover your Backblaze B2 Snapshots using our Snapshot Drive recovery option.
- And if you’re administering a Business Group, you can utilize any of the above options depending on your configuration.
In the meantime, fly little USB flash drives…fly!