Please check out our jobs page for additional great opportunities at Backblaze.
The Backblaze Operations Team continues to grow. We’ve sworn to protect our customers from data loss, and need some help to continue our rapid growth! If you think you have what it takes, we are looking for a killer Sys Admin! If you have a particular set of skills that fits either of the opening below, follow the instructions at the end of the post, and lets get rocking!
All Backblaze positions require:
- Great attitude and willingness to do whatever it takes to get the job done
- Strong desire to work for a small fast, but fast-paced company
- Desire to learn and adapt to rapidly changing technologies and work environments
- Rigorous adherence to best practices
- Relentless attention to detail
- Excellent interpersonal and written/oral communication skills
- Fantastic troubleshooting and problem solving skills
Systems Administrator, Cloud Storage
- Rebuild failed RAID arrays and debug other RAID problems as needed
- Diagnose and repair file system problems with JFS and ext4 and debug other system problems
- Maintain farm of hundreds of storage servers (pods) including deploying/configuring new systems and troubleshooting problems
- Assist with networks and services (static/dynamic web servers and monitoring systems, etc) as needed
- Assist in efforts to automate provisioning and other tasks that need to be run across hundreds of servers
- Assist in Backblaze datacenter(s)(Sacramento, CA area) to help with daily operational tasks (racking new servers, replacing drives, reviewing logs, etc..) when necessary
- Participate in the 24×7 on-call pager rotation and respond to alerts as needed. This may include occasional trips to the datacenter
- Write, design, maintain, and support operational documentation and scripts
- Assist in supervising and directing junior operations staff when necessary
- Help train operations staff as needed
- Strong knowledge of Linux system administration
- 4+ years of relevant experience
- Ability to move/lift 50-75lbs and work down near the floor as needed
- Position based in the San Francisco Bay Area or Sacramento area, California – requiring 2+ days/week in San Mateo, CA
- Experience configuring and supporting Linux software RAID (mdadm on Debian)
- Experience configuring and supporting file systems on Linux (JFS & ext4 on Debian)
- Experience troubleshooting server hardware/component issues
- Moderate to strong Bash scripting skills
Interested? Check out this video on our Datacenter Operations Team
Ready to join our team? Follow these three steps:
- Send an Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the desired position listed in the subject line
- Include your resume
- Include your answers to 2 of the following 3 questions:
- What about the prospect of working at Backblaze excites you most?
- Provide 3 adjectives that best describe your personal workspace.
- How would you manage boot images and system configurations on 1,000+ servers (i.e. Backblaze Storage Pods)?
We’ll be interviewing candidates over the next couple of weeks. Join us and help us continue to build a great online backup company.
Backblaze is an Equal Opportunity Employer.