Please check out our jobs page for additional great opportunities at Backblaze.
Backblaze is growing quickly and we are looking to expand our Operations Team with the addition of 2 superstars.
All positions require:
- Good attitude and willingness to do whatever it takes to get the job done
- Strong desire to work for a small fast paced company
- Desire to learn and adapt to rapidly changing technologies and work environment
- Rigorous adherence to best practices
- Relentless attention to detail
- Excellent troubleshooting and problem solving skills
- Excellent communication, time management, problem solving and organizational skills
Systems Administrator – San Mateo, CA
* Manage Linux, Mac and Windows installation & configuration
* Manage web services installation & configuration (Tomcat, Apache, Ngnix, WordPress, Java, etc)
* Manage infrastructure services installation & configuration (DNS, DHCP, NTP, Clonezilla, PXE, etc)
* Manage monitoring installation & configuration (Zabbix, PagerDuty, etc)
* Maintain strong network security (including PCI compliance, firewalls, ACLs, Log Analysis, etc)
* Manage enterprise class storage installation & configuration (EMC & Dell MD1120 and MD1220 drive shelves, etc)
* Push out software changes (patches & system updates)
* Debug & Repair software problems (File system, RAID & boot drive repairs)
* Make occasional trips to datacenter near Sacramento
* Help administer network infrastructure (switches, VPNs, routers, etc)
* Help automate provisioning & deployment of new software with Ansible, custom script and other tools
* Help administer database servers (MySQL)
* Help Datacenter Techs debug hardware problems
* Help maintain operational documentation and scripts
* Participate in the 24×7 on-call pager rotation and respond to alerts as needed.
* Assist in training & supervising junior operations staff when necessary.
* 5+ years of experience
* Strong knowledge of Linux system administration, Debian experience preferred
* Bash scripting skills desired
* Ability to lift/move 50-75 lbs and work down near the floor as needed
* Position based in the San Francisco Bay Area, California requiring 3+ days/week in San Mateo
Datacenter Technician – Sacramento, CA
* Work as Backblaze’s physical presence in Sacramento area datacenter(s)
* Maintain physical infrastructure including racking equipment, replacing hard drives and other system components
* Repair and troubleshoot defective equipment with minimal supervision
* Recieve deliveries, maintain accurate inventory counts/records and RMA defective components
* Provision, test & deploy new equipment via the Linux command line and web GUIs
* Help qualify new hardware & software configurations (load & component testing, qa, etc)
* Help train new Datacenter Technicians
* Follow and improve datacenter best practices and documentation
* Maintain a clean and well organized work environment
* On-call responsibilities include 24×7 trips to datacenter to resolve issues that can’t be handled remotely
* Ability to learn quickly
* Ability to lift/move 50-75 lbs and work down near the floor on a daily basis
* Position based near Sacramento, California and may require periodic visits to the Corporate office in San Mateo
* Working knowledge of Linux
* 1-2 years experience in technology related field
* Experience working at a datacenter in a support role
Check out these videos on our Datacenter Operations team:
Want to join our team? Follow these three steps:
- Send an Email to [email protected] with one of the positions listed above in the subject line
- Include your resume
- Include your answers to 2 of the following 3 questions:
- What about working at Backblaze excites you the most?
- Provide 3 adjectives that best describe your personal workspace.
- How would you manage boot images and system configurations on 1,000+ servers (i.e. Backblaze Storage Pods)?
We’ll be interviewing candidates over the next couple of weeks. Join us and help us continue to build a great online backup company.
Backblaze is an Equal Opportunity Employer and we offer competitive salary and benefits, including our no policy vacation policy.