Please check out our jobs page for additional great opportunities at Backblaze.
Backblaze is growing quickly and we are looking to expand our Operations team with the addition of two superstars.
All Positions Require:
- Good attitude and willingness to do whatever it takes to get the job done.
- Strong desire to work for a small, fast-paced company.
- Desire to learn and adapt to rapidly changing technologies and work environment.
- Rigorous adherence to best practices.
- Relentless attention to detail.
- Excellent troubleshooting and problem solving skills.
- Excellent communication, time management, problem solving, and organizational skills.
Systems Administrator (San Mateo, CA)
- Manage Linux, Mac, and Windows installation & configuration.
- Manage web services installation & configuration (Tomcat, Apache, Ngnix, WordPress, Java, etc.).
- Manage infrastructure services installation & configuration (DNS, DHCP, NTP, Clonezilla, PXE, etc.).
- Manage monitoring installation & configuration (Zabbix, PagerDuty, etc.).
- Maintain strong network security (including PCI compliance, firewalls, ACLs, Log Analysis, etc.).
- Manage enterprise class storage installation & configuration (EMC & Dell MD1120, and MD1220 drive shelves, etc.).
- Push out software changes (patches & system updates).
- Debug & repair software problems (file system, RAID, & boot drive repairs).
- Make occasional trips to data center near Sacramento.
- Help administer network infrastructure (switches, VPNs, routers, etc.).
- Help automate provisioning & deployment of new software with Ansible, custom script, and other tools.
- Help administer database servers (MySQL).
- Help data center techs debug hardware problems.
- Help maintain operational documentation and scripts.
- Participate in the 24×7 on-call pager rotation and respond to alerts as needed.
- Assist in training & supervising junior operations staff when necessary.
- 5+ years of experience.
- Strong knowledge of Linux system administration, Debian experience preferred.
- Bash scripting skills desired.
- Ability to lift/move 50-75 lbs and work down near the floor as needed.
- Position based in the San Francisco Bay Area, California requiring 3+ days/week in San Mateo.
Data Center Technician (Sacramento, CA)
- Work as Backblaze’s physical presence in Sacramento area data center(s).
- Maintain physical infrastructure including racking equipment, replacing hard drives, and other system components.
- Repair and troubleshoot defective equipment with minimal supervision.
- Receive deliveries, maintain accurate inventory counts/records and RMA-defective components.
- Provision, test, & deploy new equipment via the Linux command line and web GUIs.
- Help qualify new hardware & software configurations (load & component testing, qa, etc.).
- Help train new data center technicians.
- Follow and improve data center best practices and documentation.
- Maintain a clean and well organized work environment.
- On-call responsibilities include 24×7 trips to the data center to resolve issues that can’t be handled remotely.
- Ability to learn quickly.
- Ability to lift/move 50-75 lbs and work down near the floor on a daily basis.
- Position based near Sacramento, California and may require periodic visits to the corporate office in San Mateo.
- Working knowledge of Linux.
- 1-2 years experience in a technology-related field.
- Experience working at a data center in a support role.
Check out these videos on our Data Center Operations team:
Want to join our team? Follow these three steps:
- Send an Email to email@example.com with one of the positions listed above in the subject line.
- Include your resume.
- Include your answers to two of the following three questions:
- What about working at Backblaze excites you the most?
- Provide three adjectives that best describe your personal workspace.
- How would you manage boot images and system configurations on 1,000+ servers (i.e. Backblaze Storage Pods)?
We’ll be interviewing candidates over the next couple of weeks. Join us and help us continue to build a great online backup company.
Backblaze is an Equal Opportunity Employer and we offer competitive salary and benefits, including our no policy vacation policy.