Please check out our jobs page for additional great opportunities at Backblaze.
With the announcement of Backblaze B2, we keep on growing, and we need some help! We’re looking for two Rebels to join the Alliance, a Senior Network Engineer for our San Mateo office and a Datacenter Tech for our Sacramento datacenter. Do you have what it takes to defeat the data loss Empire? Read the description and apply below! Please remember, many Bothans died to bring us this information.
Senior Network Engineer – San Mateo, CA
- Lead efforts in planning, provisioning, and deploying network systems within the back-end operations, and across the various corporate and datacenter sites, (switches, VPNs, routers, etc)
- Lead efforts to automate deploying & updating of network systems and equipment.
- Lead efforts in monitoring and troubleshooting network operational issues
- Collaborate on network security (including PCI compliance, firewalls, ACLs, HackerOne, Log Analysis, etc)
- Participate in other Operations Automation efforts
- Collaborate on capacity planning (manage network bandwidth and how it relates to storage burn rate)
- Understand environment thoroughly enough to administer/debug any system in operations.
- Collaborate on strategic planning (optimize performance, reduce cost, increase efficiency, mitigate risk)
- Help manage infrastructure services installation/configuration (DNS, DHCP, NTP, Certificate Authority, Clonezilla, PXE, etc)
- Help manage web services installation/configuration (Tomcat, Apache, WordPress, Java, etc)
- Help administer database servers (MySQL, Cassandra)
- Help debug/repair software problems (File system, RAID & boot drive repairs)
- Participate in the 24×7 on-call pager rotation and respond to alerts as needed
- Expert knowledge and practical experience in designing, provisioning, and deploying network systems
- Expert knowledge of Linux system administration, Debian experience preferred
- 4+ years of experience or equivalent
- Bash scripting and Automation skills
- Position based in San Mateo, CA
Required for all Backblaze Employees
- Good attitude and willingness to do whatever it takes to get the job done
- Strong desire to work for a small fast paced company
- Desire to learn and adapt to rapidly changing technologies and work environment
- Occasional visits to Backblaze data centers necessary
- Rigorous adherence to best practices
- Relentless attention to detail
- Excellent interpersonal skills and good oral/written communication
- Excellent troubleshooting and problem solving skills
Datacenter Technician – Sacramento, CA
- Work as Backblaze’s physical presence in Sacramento area datacenter(s)
- Maintain physical infrastructure including racking equipment, replacing hard drives and other system components
- Repair and troubleshoot defective equipment with minimal supervision
- Receive deliveries, maintain accurate inventory counts/records and RMA defective components
- Provision, test & deploy new equipment via the Linux command line and web GUIs
- Help qualify new hardware & software configurations (load & component testing, qa, etc)
- Help train new Datacenter Technicians
- Follow and improve datacenter best practices and documentation
- Maintain a clean and well organized work environment
- On-call responsibilities include 24×7 trips to datacenter to resolve issues that can’t be handled remotely
- Ability to learn quickly
- Ability to lift/move 50-75 lbs and work down near the floor on a daily basis
- Position based near Sacramento, California and may require periodic visits to the corporate office in San Mateo
- Working knowledge of Linux
- 1-2 years experience in technology related field
- Experience working at a datacenter in a support role
Check out these videos on our Datacenter Operations team:
Want to join our team? Follow these three steps:
- Send an Email to firstname.lastname@example.org with one of the positions listed above in the subject line
- Include your resume
- Include your answers to 2 of the following 3 questions
a. What about working at Backblaze excites you the most?
b. Provide 3 adjectives that best describe your personal work space.
c. How would you manage multiple facilities to 1,000+ servers each?